Exercise 1, Chapter 4 - Kali Linux Full Disk Encryption Install
- What are the minimum required resources to a VM machine?
- Install a standard, default, full disk encryption installation of Kali Linux to a new VM. Make sure the final VM is in NAT mode.
- What technologies are used for encryption?
- We hope you didn't really need this answer, and just peeked because you were curious. 2GB RAM, 20 GB disk space!
- Check out Chapter 4 for installation procedures. To be clear, the goal here is that you install Kali with encrypted filesystem to a new VM by booting from the ISO and manually walking through the install. The goal is not to launch the Kali-supplied .vmx file.
- LUKS and Logical Volume Management (LVM)
Exercise 2, Chapter 4 - Kali Linux Unattended Install
- Create a new VM, with the minimal required hardware requirements.
- Complete a standard, default, installation, using a pressed file - hosted over HTTP (or HTTPS). Your pressed file is https://www.kali.org/dojo/preseed.cfg.
- Make sure the installation is fully unattended: you must preseed locale, keymap, hostname and domain as well.
- Minimum requirements: 2GB RAM, 20 GB disk space. You know this by now, RIGHT?
- This is pretty much a standard install with modified boot parameters. Here are suggested boot parameters:
preseed/url=https://www.kali.org/dojo/preseed.cfg locale=en_US keymap=us hostname=kali domain=local.lan
Note that the locale, keymap, hostname and domain parameters are set on the kernel command line!
Zen question: "Why can't the fancy preseed thing handle the locale, keymap, hostname and domain parameters?"
Good question. Preseeding parameters depends on the preseed method. If you use a preseed file in the initrd, then you can preseed all parameters even those that are very early in the process. If you use a preseed file from the network or from the ISO image itself, then the preseed gets applied a bit later in the installation process and the early parameters need to be preseeded on the kernel command line.
Alternatively, you could also use the auto=true and priority=critical preseed parameters.
preseed/url=https://www.kali.org/dojo/preseed.cfg auto=true priority=critical
If you didn't know this, step up your game! Pay attention! The auto and priority boot parameters are specifically mentioned in chapter 4.3. Don't think you can skim all the material and slide by. We're keeping an eye on you.