Chapter 1 Exercise – Setting up our environment

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  androcodyex 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Black Parallax
    Participant

Hey everyone, I am a total noob, although I’ve been using PC’s for 26 years, I’ve let things slide and getting back into it. Please be patient with me, hopefully I pick up on things but I may initially have a few questions to get me started. I am working on the Chapter 1 exercise and I’ve installed Kali on Windows 10 app. Do I need to install any of the Offensive Security downloads from https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-vm-vmware-virtualbox-hyperv-image-download/ ?

I want to complete the activity and guessing I can use the app on Windows 10 to create a new VM? Or is this done with Virtual Box?

Thanks in advance!

Black Parallax
    Participant

I’ve also got the free trial for Microsoft Azure for 12 months, but not sure if I should stay with that or is there another free option? I noticed another post about this suggesting ClearVM but would like to make sure if there’s a better option. Thanks again.

MeanMachineRex
    Participant

If you have Mircosoft Pro edition, then you can use Hyper-V.

MeanMachineRex
    Participant

I’m running Kali on WSL now too

Alberto
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I am trying to boot up a Windows 10 Home laptop from a Kali Linux SD card that I made as per the instructions in the the exercise. Has any one of you been successful at booting from a SD card loaded with a Kali Linux image on a Windows 10 PC? Thanks in advance. ( PS: I have a preference for an SD card as opposed to a USB stick because I find it easier to carry around)

androcodyex
    Participant

Hello Black Parallax, according to Exercise 01, Chapter 01 – Setting up our environment, it tells us that we can create a virtual machine in VMWare to perform our tests and configurations of kali linux, if you want a free VM I recommend Virtual Box for your tests, It is very easy to use, in my opinion one VM is not better than another, be based on how familiar you are with the VM or the one you like the most, greetings!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.