Manual partitioning on new HD

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  奥力 7 months ago.

• Author

Ralph Jensen
    Participant

I installed Kali on a large, empty hard disk (2 TB). It’s a fairly new computer, UEFI compliant. I also run Windows 10, installed on another hard disk. On startup, I entered the boot menu and ran the Kali installer from USB.

I’m not experienced with manual partitioning but the guided partitioning only allowed me various versions of using the entire disk for Kali which I did not want. So I started guided partitioning until the summary screen came up, checked what that would do and then went back and did the same manually (I believe): one partition for the root (primary, 37 GB), a swap partition (logical, 18 GB) and a larger partition for /home (logical, 180 GB). I then wrote that setup to disk and went through the rest of the installation. All fine. Kali runs fine so far. (There’s still an issue with the grub loader but that’s another question.)

However, if I now look at the hard disk in Windows disk manager it tells me that all three partitions (/, swap and /home) are primary ones. If I understand things correctly I can have one more primary partition (to a maximum of 4) and an extended partition. However, the Kali installer did not offer me the option of using an extended partition.

What if I now want to install another OS, like Fedora or Debian for example on the remaining space?

奥力
    Participant

Hi Friend,

1. Boot: 300 Megs

It doesn’t need more than that. It is in this partition that will be the GRUB.

I recommend that you create this partition first, so it will automatically go to /dev/sda and the primary partition, shortening the boot time.

2. System (/): 30 to 40 Gigas.

I believe you will have good space to install them.

3. / home: This partition is for your files (Documents, Music, Images, etc …) and only them.

As an example, my / home partition is 150GB. Set the size depending on the current amount and how much these files will increase in the future. I leave it to you.

* Remember: The / home partition is permanent and can also be used by other multi-boot distributions. So make sure you do not have to resize it.

4. SWAP: 1 to 2 GB, or the size of your RAM.

Today, on modern computers, many experienced users are not using the SWAP partition, especially on desktops.

But for studies, I would recommend you stick with your main operating system, install a Virtual Machine as VirtualBox and use as you like. Much more practical and useful, my opinion.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.