Minimum Requirements

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Johnny Long 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Thomas Turbano
    Participant

Hi,

My question it is quite simple but I would like to have this more clear, in Chapter 4 (more precisely 4.1 Minimal Installation Requirements) what is, in the end, the minimal RAM requirements to install Kali:
    a. 128 MB
    b. 512 MB
    c. 2 GB

I am in doubt because the exercises 4.1 and 4.2 has a question about the minimal requirements and the answer is 2GB.

Thomas Turbano
    Participant

More than that, in the FAQ (Q: “Is the KLCP a multiple choice exam? Aren’t performance exams better?”)the statement says: A quick look at the VM revealed that the user didn’t allocate enough RAM to the VM, leaving it at the default “512MB” value, definitely not enough to boot Kali into a full, resource hungry Gnome environment. That simple fact alone – the “minimum requirements” needed for a Kali boot (2 GB’s of RAM, btw) was all that was separating that attendee from success and failure. Although this was technically a simple situation, it dawned on me that standardizing both the fundamental and advanced topics in Kali Linux would benefit the whole community.

I am lost…

Johnny Long
    Keymaster

Hi Turbano. I’m not sure what your question is. Section 4.1 states:

The installation requirements for Kali Linux vary depending on what you would like to install. On the low end, you can set up Kali as a basic Secure Shell (SSH) server with no desktop, using as little as 128 MB of RAM (512 MB recommended) and 2 GB of disk space. On the higher end, if you opt to install the default GNOME desktop and the kali-linux-full meta-package, you should really aim for at least 2048 MB of RAM and 20 GB of disk space.

This makes it clear: the minimal requirements are based on your needs. If your question is, “What are the absolute minimal requirements to install Kali”, then that’s a trick question because it depends on your installation path. For example, graphical vs text-based installer vs pre-seeded installer. Each of these have different requirements as does running Kali in graphical mode vs text mode.

Johnny

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.