Why can't a user try to change directory into USB directly? (/dev/sdb)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nick jonas 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

YuYunLord
    Participant

Copy files from USB to desktop folder without using GUI.

O.K I cheated with GUI a-bit but that didn’t help with a cringe-worthy 20 minute time. :/

First I opened disks (GUI) to find /dev/sdb.

After trying to cd into dev, I am unable to cd into sdb.

What’s intresting is that when I typed df, this comes out.

OK, so I tried to cd into /media/root/5CFB-AF5E to access my files.

What’s intresting is that you cannot just mount block /dev/sdb, the Kernel mounts /dev/sdb to /media/root/someUSBcode.

Can someone explain how the Kernel mounts /dev/sdb??

My “hypothesis”.
    When you plug a USB in, is /dev/sdb filesystem (reality a file) is created. The file is like an ISO image.

A firmware can mount it to /media/root/, converting it to a folderlike directory for the user to cd in.

You cannot cd into a file.

Johnny Long
    Keymaster

Hola. So this falls into the category of Linux fundamentals. I’ll point you in a direction, but remember, Kali Linux is not the best platform for learning Linux. You will do much better if you tackle Linux first and then step into this training.

But in short, you are correct. Linux maps all devices to the filesystem (usually in /dev). What that means is that when you interact with that file in /dev, you are mucking with a device.

In your case /dev/sd is traditionally where “SCSI” devices were, but it’s become a catch-all for any block device not accessible by IDE, so USB devices fit in here. The letter after /dev/sd marks the order in which the device was found. So /dev/sda is the first non-IDE device (typically your hard drive) and /dev/sdb is likely your removable USB drive. Next, comes the partition. So /dev/sdb1 is the first partition on the second non-IDE device on your system.

That’s about as far as I’m willing to help you in this regard because you’ll need to dive into Linux. I highly recommend this free course to get you started.

Hope that helps, and thanks for jumping into the training!

nick jonas
    Participant

It cannot be changed directly and for any help regarding this you can post your query on reset epson ink cartridge and you will get the required information.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  nick jonas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.