In this chapter, we will focus on the Kali Linux installation process. First, we will discuss the minimum installation requirements (Section 4.1, “Minimal Installation Requirements”) to ensure that your real or virtual system is well-configured to handle the type of installation that you will pursue. Then we will go through each step of the installation process (Section 4.2, “Step by Step Installation on a Hard Drive”) for a plain installation, as well as for a more secure installation involving a fully encrypted file system.
We will also discuss preseeding, which allows unattended installations (Section 4.3, “Unattended Installations”) by providing predetermined answers to installation questions. We will also show you how to install Kali Linux on various ARM devices (Section 4.4, “ARM Installations”), which expands Kali’s capabilities far beyond the desktop. Finally, we will show you what to do in the rare case of an installation failure (Section 4.5, “Troubleshooting Installations”), so you can work through the issue and successfully finish a tough install.
- Minimum Installation Requirements
- Installing to Hard Drive
- Unattended Installations
- ARM Installations
- Troubleshooting Installations
- 4.6. Summary
- Exercise 4-1: Installing Kali With Full Disk Encryption
- Exercise 4-2: Kali Linux Unattended Install
- Exercise 4-3: Kali Linux standard ARM Install
- Exercise 4-4: Custom Kali Linux ARM Install
- Exercise 4-5: Kali Linux ARM chroot